The Philip Sherlock International Arts Festival being observed on the Mona Campus from February 22 to March 15, 2011 honours the memory of one of the University’s founding fathers and literary icon, Sir Philip Sherlock. The Festival consists of workshops and performances in music, dance and drama and an annual lecture, with all activities being organized by the Philip Sherlock Centre for the Creative Arts.
Information on Philip Sherlock’s contribution to UWI can be found in the University Archives from the first meeting of the Provincial Council in January 1947 which records his appointment (the first appointment made by the Council) as the head of the Department of Extra Mural Studies. The Minutes of the second meeting of the Council the following year contains, as an appendix, a proposal by him for the organization of the Extra Mural department, the nucleus of today’s Open Campus. Many references can be found to him in the records of subsequent years as he served the organization as Vice Principal, Principal of the St Augustine Campus and finally as Vice Chancellor from 1962 – 1968.
Apart from records, the Archives collects programmes, brochures and other printed items associated with university persons and events and information on Sir Philip can also be found in these materials.